We at Farmer Girl Meats believe the most important meal of the day deserves a place in every family’s holiday recipe book. That’s why this month we’re giving you our Simple Squash and Sausage Quiche.
This dish is easy to prepare and will provide you with a break from the more customary recipes brought out by the holiday season. Quiche is all about convenience. It’s just crust, eggs, milk, and any filling your heart desires, such as our sweet Farmer Girl Meats Apple Sausage–off of which we’ve based this recipe.
Allow yourself to let go of the idea that good food requires fancy, complicated recipes and tedious preparation. We’ve found that good tasting food comes from fresh, high-quality ingredients. For best results, use farm fresh eggs, all natural meat, seasonal veggies, and fresh sage. With quality ingredients, we can let the robust flavors of our food do the work for us. Really, we just want to bring those traditional flavors to life.
We’ve also paired the quiche with some options for locally-made beer and wine. Yes, we know. This is a breakfast dish. But it’s the holidays, which means you get to live it up–even in the morning. Let’s get to it then. Here are six easy steps to making our Simple Squash and Sausage Quiche. Keep in mind this can be done the morning of?while children are occupied by a pile of new toys?or the night prior. A microwaved quiche is still a thing of beauty.
Simple Squash & Sausage Quiche Recipe
Serving Size: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 1 hr.
- 1 pound Farmer Girl Apple Breakfast Sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- ½ butternut squash
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 Andrea’s Gluten Free Pie Crust
- 4 farm fresh eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ounces crumbled parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, thinly sliced
1.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2.) Cook the squash
- Break up squash with the spoon. Scoop squash into mixing bowl.
- Quick-roast instructions for people who forgot to put their squash in the oven (like we did!) and don’t have time to wait for it to roast: cut squash in half, remove seeds, place both halves face-down on plate, cook in microwave for 5-minute time increments until squash is very soft.
- Instructions for foodies: cut squash in half, remove seeds, place face-down on baking dish with 1/3 cup of water (to steam the inside), poke outer skin a few times with a fork, then roast in oven until soft. About 30 minutes
3.) Prepare Ingredients
- Add Farmer Girl Apple Breakfast Sausage to a skillet and break up with the back of a spoon. Brown and cook through until no pink remains, about 10 minutes. Slice your veggies while sausage cooks. Remove cooked sausage from the skillet and set aside.
4.) Caramelize Onion
- In the same skillet, caramelize the sliced onion in the sausage drippings until soft and slightly brown. Add a dab of butter if additional moisture is needed
5.) Mix and Pour
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a mixing bowl, then add sausage, onions, squash, sage, salt and pepper. Add crumbled cheese last, mix thoroughly, then pour into crust.
5.) Bake in Center Rack.
- Until golden brown (25-45 minutes). Remove, let cool, and enjoy!
There you have it! I hope you enjoy this Simple Squash & Sausage Quiche Recipe!