Here’s a recipe that will serve the family for days on end. There’s no limit to what can be done with a tender grass fed beef roast after its been slowly cooked and nicely seasoned. Follow these easy steps and prepare to get creative in the kitchen with your tenderly cooked beef.
This recipe was adapted from Deborah Krasner’s Good Meat cookbook.
Salt Seared Grass Fed Beef Roast
Serving Size: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 6 to 8 hrs.
- 3 pounds Farmer Girl Meats grass fed shoulder roast, thawed–pot roasting or braising cuts from out ‘Cooking Cheat Sheet” can be substituted.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- ½ Tablespoon (approximately) course sea salt
- ½ Tablespoon butter
- ½ onion, sliced
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Copperhead Pale Ale beer (Free State Brewery)
- Apple cider vinegar
Step 1: Sear
- Follow steps 1 through 4 in our “Farmer Girl Grass Fed Beef Sear” instructions.
- Place roast in slow cooker and grind fresh pepper over top.
Step 2: Pick-Up the flavor left in the skillet
- Place used cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add sliced unions and caramelize until onions are translucent and caramel-y brown, put on top of roast.
- Pour in 12 to 16 ounces of complimentary wine, beer, or other alcohol
- Scrape the drippings off the bottom of the pan while the liquid reduces, try to reduce it by half
- Throw in a dab of butter into skillet and stir to thicken
- Immediately pour reduction sauce over resting meat
- let meat finish resting as outlined above
Step 3: Cook until fork tender
- Slow Cooker: Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low in a slow cooker .
- Dutch Oven: Cook at 200 degrees for 6 to 8 hours in oven.
- Roast is finished cooking when it’s fork tender(easily falls apart with a fork). Time will vary, but plan on 6 to 8 hours.
Step 4: Brighten and serve
- Remove roast from slow cooker and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove trussing and gently slice against the grain, place sliced roast on serving dish.
- Ladle au jus over roast in the serving dish.
- Pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar over the sliced roast to brighten the flavor.
- Sprinkle roast sparingly with coarse sea salt as needed.
There you have it! I hope you enjoy this Farmer Girl Salt Seared Roast Recipe!