Gertie’s BBQ Pulled Pork with Smoked Gouda Recipe
Serving Size: 10 servings
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 8 hrs.
- 1 Farmer Girl Meats heritage pork boston butt roast, ~ 3 pounds, thawed
- 1 bottle of Lilian’s Q’s Smoky barbeque sauce (or other flavor of Lilian Q’s)
- Sea salt, as needed
- Fresh pepper
- Smoked gouda, sliced
- Brioche rolls, sliced in half
- Optional: Coleslaw
Step 1: Thaw roast.
- Plan on 1 day or overnight in the refrigerator.
Step 2: Prepare roast.
- Pat thawed roast completely dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle sea salt and freshly ground pepper over both sides.
- Place roast in slow cooker or dutch oven, fat cap side-up.
- Pour 3/4 bottle of Lilie Q’s Smoky barbeque sauce over roast.
Step 3: Cook until fork tender, then shred
- Slow Cooker: Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low in a slow cooker.
- Dutch Oven: Cook at 200 degrees for 6 to 8 hours in oven.
- Roast is finished cooking when it is fork tender (easily falls apart or shreds with a fork). Time will vary, but plan on 6 to 8 hours. Don’t worry about overcooking braising cuts such as a pork boston butt roast.
- Once fork tender, shred (or ‘pull’) the roast and place it in a serving dish. Discard any fat as you shred. Spoon juices from slow cooker/ dutch oven over the pulled pork, enough to cover the pork and keep it moist.
Step 4: Prepare coleslaw (optional) and brioche rolls.
- Optional: Prepare a cole slaw. The slaw from our Chipotle Lime Braised Beef Tacos is a really good one!
- Slice brioche rolls in half.
- Toast brioche roll briefly in cast iron skillet or oven.
Step 5: Assemble and serve.
- Place one serving of pulled barbeque pork on one side of toasted brioche roll.
- Top with one slice of smoked gouda.
- Optional: Broil breifly in oven until cheese melts.
- Place spoonful of slaw on top of melted cheese and pulled pork.
- Place other side of brioche role on top. Serve.
After pulling, pork can be stored in refrigerator. Makes it easy to do ahead. Also slaw will be better if prepared about 1 day ahead of time.
For keto or paleo version of this recipe, serve without bun on fresh greens.
There you have it! I hope you enjoy this BBQ Pork with Smoked Gouda Recipe!