Sure to impress even your dinner guests with the most discriminating of tastes, this dish shines as both an appetizer and main course.
The words honey and lavender just feel lovely, don’t they? Both capture the romanticism and nostalgia good food can hold in our memories and on our tastebuds. As a lady, rarely do the words steak, or meat, give me that same kind of warm and gentle fuzzy.
Growing up on the farm I had no idea that steak was STEAK in the modern lexicon, an eating experience associated with largesse and overly-rich accompaniments. A guy’s meal, and not particularly ladylike. Really, even the word STEAK is a decidedly masculine word, and as such feels like a decidedly masculine food. Even if it’s not. Because it isn’t, or rather doesn’t have to be.
The lavender-wine reduction pairs well with the flavors of the prairie which are imparted through our grass fed beef.
New York Strip with Honey & Lavender Wine Reduction Recipe
Serving Size: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 15 min.
- 2 pounds of Grass Fed New York Strip Steak, thawed
- Grapeseed oil
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Coarse sea salt
Honey & Lavendar Wine Reduction
- 5 sprigs of fresh lavender
- 1 cup Chardonnay Wine, such as River Roads Family Vineyard Chardonnay
- 2 tablespoons clover or wildflower honey
- Dab of unsalted butter
Step 1: Step 1: Thaw & Prepare Grass Fed Beef
- Thaw grass fed beef as per Farmer Girl Meats thawing instructions.
- In package, bring steak to room temperature.
- Remove beef from package and pat with paper towels to absorb excess moisture, meat should be relatively dry.
Step 2: Sear and Cook New York Strip Steak
- Sear the steak on both sides in a hot pan to your desired temperature.
- Set cast iron skillet aside and don’t rinse (drippings will be used for sauce).
Step 3: Make Honey & Lavender Sauce
- Heat the same skillet back to med heat.
- Pour in wine. Add a dab of unsalted butter.
- Break down the lavender over your skillet to release oils, letting leaves and stems drop into skillet.
- Stir and scrape the bits of yummies off the bottom of the pan.
- Stir until it thickens, then turn heat to low.
- Drip in 2 tablespoons of honey and keep stirring for 30 seconds over medium heat (don’t burn the honey, it’s easy to do).
- Pour reduction immediately into a bowl or small pitcher.
- Remove any stems or leaves.
- Pour reduction over steak. Continue to let rest as needed.
Step 4: Slice & Assemble
- Slice steak, against the grain, into ½ inches. (The grain is the direction the muscle fibers run. Slice perpendicular to the grain.)
- Plate the New York Strip slices.
- Drizzle steak with honey. Sparingly sprinkle with salt.
- Place 1 lavender leaf on each piece of steak.
There you have it! I hope you enjoy this New York Strip with Honey & Lavender Wine Reduction Recipe!