One of the biggest challenges of eating low-carb is passing on all the tasty side dishes.
For most low-carb diets, and especially the ketogenic diet, potatoes are off the table. Luckily, cauliflower produces a similar fluffy texture, and with a little butter, seasoning, garlic and cream cheese, it makes a delicious substitute for creamy mashed potatoes. This is one of my favorite go-to keto-friendly sides. It’s easy enough to make quickly in a pinch, and versatile enough to switch up with changes in seasonings and cheeses. Enjoy!
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- 4 cups cauliflower
- ⅛ red onion – diced
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic – diced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp sour cream (optional)
1. Bring water in a medium sized saucepan to a boil.
2. Boil cauliflower for about 15 minutes. When you’re able to easily pierce a floret with a fork, remove from heat. Strain in colander.
3. While cauliflower rests, in the same saucepan add one tablespoon butter and turn stove to medium high heat.
4. When butter begins to melt, add diced garlic and onion.
5. Simmer on medium heat until onions and garlic begin to brown, about 4 minutes.
6. When browned, remove from heat and add cauliflower, sour cream, cream cheese, and oregano.
7. Use hand blender (or potato masher) to whip everything into a smooth, fluffy mountain of deliciousness that look similar to mashed potatoes. Stir with a fork and check for large chunks you may have missed.
8. Salt and pepper to taste, garnish with oregano, and enjoy!